American Home AH-100 Serger

Well I finally did it -- I bought a serger. My budget was small, so I did my research to find an entry level serger that would give me the most bang for my buck. Being a big fan of Baby Lock machines, I was impresssed with their Lauren serger -- still, it was a little more than I could afford to spend right now. So I set about finding a comparable model, and discovered the American Home AH-100 model, which appears to be the twin of the Baby Lock Lauren.

American Home is made by Tacony (the makers of Baby Lock, and Brother) so I felt confident that this would be a quality machine. It seems this serger is available only on-line -- Baby Lock is never available on-line. And the sweet little secret is that cost of the American Home model AH-100 is $100 less than the Baby Lock Lauren. I ordered mine from Sewing Machines at Simplicity.com and because they offer FREE shipping, I saved the full $100! Click "Read more" to continue

 
Last night I set about learning how to use my new serger. I decided the best way to learn was to just do it, so I took a t-shirt, and began my reconstruction. I used the rolled hem function to finish the sleeve, and collar; regular 3 thread serging for seaming, and the blind hem foot for the bottom hem. The pleated ruffle was edged with the regular 3 thread serging stitch, and sewn onto the tee with my sewing machine. Since writing this, I've used the serger a little more, and have decided that in most cases, using 4 threads (both needles) is better for seaming.

The included instructional DVD proved to be helpful in getting to know the serger a little better. Although it covers the same information found in the instruction manual, having the visual gave me a quicker understanding of the various functions.

I've spoken with many people who want to get a serger, but are very intimidated by the threading. There's really no need to be. A thread path guide is printed inside the front door panel, so I don't need to get the manual out each time I need to thread the serger. The guide is color coded, as are the tension dials, and the acutal thread paths -- this makes threading the serger much easier.

And while it's a really good idea to get some practice threading your serger, it's not something you'll need to do often, or even when you first get it. Although it does not arrive with spools or cones of thread, it does arrive threaded -- that is to say the thread is not attached to a spool at the top, but you can use the pull through method to connect your own thread. This method is also useful for quick thread color changes.

The pull through method:

Cut all 4 threads off at the thread cone, or spool, and remove the spools or cones. Place your new thread cones or spools on the machine.

Pull the old thread through just the needles to remove it completely, leaving the looper threads in tact.
Run your new thread through the needle thread path, and thread the needles.

Tie the end of the new thread to the end of the old thread for the loopers.

Hold all 4 thread ends (the free ends at the throat plate/presser foot), and gently pull them as you press on the foot control -- continue until the new thread has made its way completely through the thread path.

1 comment:

  1. I read on another review that this is also an American made machine...and as many of us seamstresses know, that's relatively unusual these days. Thanks for your refreshing review,and I suggest that you do a demo on this machine on youtube and possibly even on pinterest. Thanks again...this looks like a very nice machine.

    ReplyDelete