Painted Spice Jars

OK, so it's not sewing, but every now and again we all like to do something different!

I had been saving these little jelly jars for I don't know what. Since I've started buying spices in cellophane bags instead of shaker jars, it was becoming a challenge to organize my pantry. (By the way, the cello bag spices are much cheaper -- you can usually find these in the grocery store on the ethnic foods aisle.) I thought these little jars would make good containers for those spices.

I used acrylic paints -- you can use fabric paint if that's what you happen to have on hand. I created the designs by painting dots, and dabs, and single strokes -- no artistic talent necessary! The beauty of painting on glass is that if you don't like the way your design is turning out, you can just wipe it with a wet paper towel, and start over. To make the jars washable, let the paint dry overnight, then place the jar in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes to "set" the paint. That's all there is to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment