2. The pattern piece for the brim is scalloped. You cut the scallops, and then sew around those edges. Sounds easy enough, but I found it very difficult to get a clean, even scallop.
To resolve the issue of the wonky scallops, I decided that it may be better to sew the scallops before cutting. I chose to trace the pattern onto a piece of medium weight cut-away embroidery stabilizer. Now if you don't want to use an interfacing in the brim, you could use a tear-away stabilizer, or tissue paper, or a wash away stabilizer. Actually, if you have a printer/copier, the Sulky wash away stabilizer that goes through the printer would be the quickest method -- that way you could just copy the pattern piece to the stabilizer, iron it on your fabric, then cut (except for the scallops). As you can see, this gave me a much cleaner, nicer scalloped edge. The downside is that with the stabilizer (interfacing) in there, the brim stands up a little bit instead of falling in line with the hat. It doesn't look bad, but it does take away from the cloche design.